Frequently Asked Questions
Secondary Lunch Program
For 2020-21 School Year:
- All snack windows will be CLOSED for the first several weeks of the school year. We aim to make lunch service as quick and smooth as possible, and to let students and staff adjust to new lunch schedules.
- Bottled water and some beverages will still be sold in the main serving line.
- We will NOT have Swirl Machines (frozen 100% juice) running for the foreseeable future. The handle is considered a self-service utensil. We will offer other pre-cupped/sealed frozen juice choices.
- Menu choices have been slimmed down. This is done to increase line speed and allow our students to quickly get through the lunch line.
- There will be no bulk self-service condiments. All condiments will be in packets or dip cups.
- All eating utensils will be in a pre-wrapped package; each will contain a spoon, fork, napkin, and straw.
How much do meals cost?
Choice of Entrée
(includes protein & whole grains)
Fruit and Vegetable Side Dishes
Reduced Price Meals
Milk Only (all meals)
$0.50 per carton
$0.50 per carton
How do I get a menu and nutritional information?
A complete menu, our menu guide, and nutrition information is available on the Menus Page.
How does my student use their Food Service Account?
Every student has an account, accessed with their student ID number. Each register has a keypad for students to punch in their ID number. Students must have money in their account in order to use it. All outstanding balances from your student’s elementary account must be paid before they can use their account at the secondary level.
How do I deposit money?
- Online deposits are made at www.sendmoneytoschool.com ; all you need is your student’s 5-digit account number. The money is available in the account within 15 minutes! Please note that there is a $2.00 flat service fee that covers our cost of offering this service. You only pay this fee if you make a deposit online. No fees are charged June 1 through September 30, and also January 1-31. It is free to check balances.
- Send checks (made out to Jenison/Hudsonville School Food Service) or cash with your child in a sealed envelope with a deposit slip and the student’s first and last name on the outside of the envelope. You can use one envelope and one check for more than one student but please be sure to include a note so we know how much money to put in each account.
- We recommend that you try to keep at least $5.00 in your student’s account so that they can make purchases without worry!
- We don’t cash checks through Food Service.
How do I see what my student is buying?
- Monitor the account online! Go to www.sendmoneytoschool.com to deposit money, view account histories, or place restrictions on the account.
How will I know when they run out of money?
- You can set up an account online at www.sendmoneytoschool.com to monitor activity.
- You will also get a low balance email through the district's SchoolMessenger system when your child's account is at $3.00 or less for full pay lunches or at $0.80 for families that qualify for reduced lunches.
- Your child can also ask for their balance at the register. It is ultimately your responsibility to track your child's lunch balance.
What if my child forgot their lunch and has no money in their account?
- If you have other children in the district, we can transfer money between them. Or you can deposit funds online – money is available within 15 minutes of the online deposit.
- We will allow emergency charging of up to 2 school meals. After that, students must visit the school's office for approval. No a la carte items can be charged.
Free/Reduced Meal Benefits - how does it work?
- A NEW application must be filled out every year
- If your family receives SNAP (food stamp) benefits, no application is necessary; you will receive a letter confirming your benefits.
- Apply online at www.lunchapp.com or send back the form in this packet. It is fast and easy to apply online! Paper applications are available at each school and will be approved within 5 business days.
- Once your application is approved, benefits begin immediately. We will also notify you via mail.
- Students who qualify for meal benefits use their account just like everyone else!
- Any item purchased beyond a school meal is a la carte and they must have money in the account to purchase those items.
- All meal benefit information is confidential!
How can I contact the Food Service Office?
We are open Monday through Friday 7:30 until 4:00pm. (Closed on school breaks and holidays)
Jenison/Hudsonville Food Service
2140 Bauer Road
Jenison, MI 49428
Phone: (616) 457-2400